Frequently Asked Questions related to International Students:
- Which Florida Tech office can most effectively answer questions related to international students?
Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
Florida Institute of Technology
150 W. University Blvd.
Melbourne, Florida 32901-6975
- Does the ISSS web site have a lot of pertinent information?
Yes, the ISSS web site
has information on visas, immigration, embassies...
- INS: How do I?
Student Process Steps: How to Navigate the US Immigration System
Disclaimer: the following information is provided for convenience;
the Office of the International Student and Scholar Services
(besides the US Government)
provides the most accurate and current information.
- What is a student visa?
A student visa is for non-US nationals entering the US to study.
- Where do I get a student visa?
Student visas are
issued by US Embassies/Consulates outside the US.
- What is an I-20?
INS Form I-20 is Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1)
Student Status. To apply for a student visa you would need an I-20.
- How do I get an I-20?
An I-20 is issued by a university and basically verifies the
- has admitted you to a degree program
- knows you are an international student and will help keep track of your status
while you are in the US
- has checked that you have sufficient financial resources
- What is the lowest acceptable TOEFL
score for admission?
The required minimum TOEFL score for admission is 550 (or
Applicants may be admitted with a lower score, but will be
required to take English courses and obtain the minimum
score before taking regular courses.
- For international students whose undergrad university's mode
of teaching was English, is TOEFL still required?
Yes, TOEFL is still required, unless the native language of the
applicant's country is English, like England, Canada, Australia...
English competency is essential in succeeding in our degree programs.
The more information you provide us, the more effective we can
evaluate your application.