Student Web Pages
Network Programming - Spring 2000
Your first assignment will be to develop a web page for this class
where the remainder of your homework assignments will be posted.
Email your URL to me and I will put a link to it on my class page.
Do this as soon as possible but not later than Feb. 3.
How to create a web page (if you don't already have one).
- Obtain an account on winnie.fit.edu
- Make sure your home directory has public read and execute permissions:
chmod 755 .
- Create a subdirectory called public_html. Make sure it
has public read and execute permissions.
- Create a file called index.html. Make sure it has public
read permission: chmod 644 public_html/index.html
- If you don't know HTML, read the NCSA Beginners's Guide to HTML
then download and print the Barebones Guide to HTML at
http://www.werbach.com/barebones/ as a reference.
- Put some links on your page, including a link to your email
address. Click on View/Source or View/Document
Source in your browser to see examples.
- The URL for your web page is
http://www.fit.edu/~yourname (on winnie)
You may obtain an account with CGI access and more disk space
www.teejay.net, which Terry Lentz maintains. This is a Linux
based PC on the FIT network. Please read the site guidelines before
applying for an account.
You do not have to use FIT computers for your web site if you have
a hosting service somewhere else.
To add or update your link, email me at