CSE 4510-E06/5241 Distributed Computing (Spring 2009)
242 Engineering Complex, 674-7280, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: MW 1-3pm (or by appointment)
Course Web Page: http://www.cs.fit.edu/~pkc/classes/dc/
This course introduces fundamental concepts in software systems that
support and work in a distributed computing environment. Topics in
network communication mechanisms, distributed operating systems,
services supporting distributed systems, and distributed algorithms
are discussed. Programming assignments include implementing different
aspects of distributed systems.
Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design,
Coulouris, Dollimore & Kindberg,
4th Edition, Pearson, 2005.
- Unix Systems Programming: Communication, Concurrency, and Threads,
Robbins & Robbins,
Prentice Hall, 2003 [previously entitled "Practical Unix Programming", 1996]
- Java Network Programming,
Hughes, Shoffner & Hamner,
2nd Edition, Manning, 1999.
- Thread Time: The MultiThreaded Programming Guide,
Norton & DiPasquale,
Prentice Hall, 1996.
- Java Threads,
Oaks & Wong, 3rd Edition,
[Reviews on Java Thread books]
- Networking and communication concepts (Ch 1-5)
- Distributed operating systems (Ch 6)
- Distributed file systems (Ch 8)
- Time and coordination (Ch 11-12)
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing (Ch 16)
- Web Services (Ch 19)
|Last day to drop
||Jan 23 (Fri)|
||Mar 11 (Wed) [tentative]|
|Last day to withdraw
||Mar 20 (Fri)|
||May 4 (Mon), 6pm-8pm|
- Data Structures and Algorithms (CSE 2001/2010/5020/5100)
- Operating Systems (CSE 4001/5045/5230)
- Proficient in programming (C, C++, or Java).
- Midterm exam (20%), final exam (30%), homework assignments (50%)
- Term paper: a mini-research paper (CSE 5241 students only)
- Students are encouraged to help each other on assignments,
but plagiarism (copying) is prohibited.
- Late assignments are accepted, but 20% is deducted for each day.
- Documentation constitutes 10% of each programming assignment.